Choosing the Right Water Heater for Your Mount Prospect Home
If you’re considering a different type of water heater for your home rather than a conventional gas water heater, it is easier now than it ever was before! Many homes in Mount Prospect feature gas tank water heaters, but there are many different choices available today! Below are listed some of the different types of water heater options out there so you choose which will be the best for your home:
Tankless Water Heater: A tankless water heater goes directly into your water line. This water heater will be a space saver in your home. With that in mind, tankless water heaters require service every 5 years and heat your water no matter what temperature it is.
Electric Water Heater: These water heaters operate much like gas water heaters but they’re powered by electricity instead of gas. Depending on the tank’s size, this option may be very economical, practical and save money on your monthly energy costs.
Solar Water Heaters: As the name suggests, solar water heaters use the power of the sun to heat the water.
Tankless Coil and Indirect Water Heaters: Both of these water heaters go directly into your home’s heating system in order to heat the water.
Heat Pump Water Heaters: This system moves heat from one place to another and generates heat directly for the water.
There are many factors that go into choosing the best water heater for your home in Mount Prospect:
Size: What size will the tank need to be? Just because a tank is bigger, that doesn’t mean it’s better. Conversely, a tank that’s too large could be costing you money by choosing something larger than your home requires. On the opposite side, if a tank is too small, it won’t be able to keep up with the demand for hot water for your home. Tank size is also determined by how much space is available for installation.
Energy Efficiency: You can save on your monthly energy costs by choosing an energy efficient water heater. Water heaters that are energy efficient will heat your water while using far less energy in the process. The extra efficiency can add up to significant savings.
Costs: As with other home projects, it all comes down to getting the best for your home as affordably as possible. Capps Plumbing offers discounts on water heater options.
Signs Your Need To Replace Or Repair Your Water Heater
On average, a water heater will typically last approximately 8-12 years. If your water heater is above and beyond that 12 year marker, replacing it is strongly encouraged before it begins breaking down. Water heaters in Mount Prospect, Illinois come in three options: gas water heaters, electric water heaters, and tankless water heaters. In addition to the age of your water heater, provided below are some other warning signs that may indicate that it’s time to replace your water heater:
- Water looks rusty rather than clear when it’s running.
- The water looks muddy or sandy in appearance. If this is happening, it could be indicative of build up at the bottom of the tank
- If you are noticing a metallic taste or odor in the water when drinking it, your tank could be breaking down. The metallic taste is caused by small pieces of metal that are flaking off and getting into your water.
- The water gets warm but not all that hot. Double check your thermostat first and be sure it is set between 120 and 140 degrees. If it’s set at the proper temperature range but the water still isn’t getting hot, contact Capps.
- If loud and unusual noises are coming from your water heater, contact Capps.
- The number of times and the space of time between when repairs are done to your water heater may indicate that your water heater needs replacement. You can count on Capps Plumbing to give you fair and honest advice regarding whether you should repair your water heater or replace the water heater altogether.
- If water is starting to pool around the bottom of your water heater, don’t wait. This is a warning that your water heater is breaking down and it will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. Even if the leak is small, these cracks can rupture and cause massive water damage. If water is collecting around your water heater, don’t ignore it. Call Capps to have the water heater replaced right away to avoid water damage and hassle.